Thursday, January 23, 2014

That Time I Poached Chicken

Sometimes I'm weird. Some of y'all are probably like, #duh, we know, but bear with me. One thing that I’m weird about is meat. I don’t like to touch raw meat. I especially don’t like to touch raw chicken. In fact, I don’ t really like chicken that much in general, cooked or not. I am very, very picky about the type of texture it must (or must not!) have, and about how it must look. Usually, I just have my husband cook chicken when we do have it, or I dump it into the crockpot and let it cook until it’s extremely dry, thereby, in my mind, killing all bacteria and creating the perfect texture.

The other night I needed chicken for a recipe and had forgotten to put it in the crockpot to cook while I was at work. In an effort to stick to one of my resolutions, I decided to get outside of my comfort zone and try something new. Enter: Poaching!

OMG Y’ALL! How am I so late to the poaching party? I had heard of poaching but I just could not bring myself to believe that poaching chicken was really as simple as boiling it, so I had always avoided it. Plus it just seemed gross. I was so wrong. I literally just plopped the chicken into a large pot of boiling water, and fifteen minutes later had perfectly cooked chicken breasts. It was easy to slice, didn’t gross me out, and was actually not as dry as cardboard!

I used some of that chicken in a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Skinnytaste, and let me tell you, it was on point! Archer ate three helpings and Troy cleaned his bowl too, plus it made enough for two nights of dinner and one day of lunch. I paired it with some biscuits made with Bisquick heart healthy mix that I topped with a sprinkle of garlic powder and grated parmesan. The biscuits aren’t required, but you should just go ahead and get something to lap up every last bit with, because you will want to. I promise.

Anyone else weird about meat or other foods? Tell me it’s not just me!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment