Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Gym and Beastie Balls

We changed gyms on Saturday and I am so glad. We re-joined the YMCA, after leaving to become members of Gold’s for about the past 15 months. We joined Gold’s when they were running a special and because they were closer to our old apartment, and decided to switch back because the Y is closer to our apartment and work, and because they have a pool. I’m excited because they have a wider variety of group exercise classes to choose from, which will be perfect for helping me keep fitness fun and giving me options when I don’t feel like lifting.

Saturday was actually my first day back in the gym in a few weeks. Between moving and Christmas, I didn’t make it to the gym, and I was starting to get a little antsy. I definitely could have made it, but it honestly did not make it to the top of my priority list, and I’m okay with that. I focused primarily on legs on Saturday, and let me tell you, yesterday I was feeling it. I was actually having trouble walking up and down the stairs on Saturday after my workout, which is not a fun problem when you live on the 3rd floor. On Sunday though, I felt like someone had beat my legs with pillowcases full of bars of soap, so I decided to take some action.

Beastie Balls!

I got these little bad boys for Chad as one of his birthday gifts. I highly recommend buying your spouse presents that you can use too. Just Kidding. Sort of. They are made by the same company who manufactures the Rumble Roller foam roller. The little knobs really work those sore and tight muscle fibers, and they are handheld, giving you more direct control over pressure and the area worked. They make fun attachments for the Beastie Balls, allowing you to use them in a wider variety of ways, but I have yet to purchase those (I’m Balling on a Budget, ya’ll! Get it Balling?! ). The clear is the original, and the green is the extra firm, or as I like to call them, Hurts So Good and This Just Freaking Hurts.

I spent some time using the green one on my IT bands and trying not to vomit, and overall I would say that my DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) was much less than it normally would be had I not worked the muscles with a little myofascial self- release ( the technical term for what I was doing).  My in-laws gave me a foam roller for my birthday a few years back, and I do use that when I’m sore, but I find it to be too much/too intense for my IT band; it actually feels like I imagine getting kicked in the groin feels, so I can say that I prefer the Beastie Balls for areas that are extremely tender.

What do you do for sore muscles?

No comments:

Post a Comment