Monday, November 11, 2013

Big Thangs Poppin!



What do you think of that blog post title? It's in reference to the fact that I have "popped" as they say in the pregnancy world, and now visibly look pregnant. I combined that with my love of T.I/southern rap and the fact that I probably will have another large baby, and BAM: blog title!

Moving on...

So the last two weeks I have gone to the gym 4x/week, and I am pretty satisfied with that amount. I have stuck to my running and weight lifting split, but this week I am going to make some changes.
Typically, I have done my workouts on a body part split. That means that each body part is assigned a day to be worked. Most recently, I was combining two muscle groups in order to be more efficient, because I am not in the gym 6 days a week like I was pre-pregnancy. This has worked well for me, but then I read some new information on one of my favorite sites, Lean Bodies Consulting, that encouraged an upper body/lower body split, in order to promote muscle activation and growth. This really spoke to me because sometimes I feel like I have to shove workouts together anyway, and also because I want to work certain muscles more frequently, specifically biceps, shoulders, and glutes.
I have come up with Kanye’s  my new workout plan and am posting my new split below. 

Day 1: Biceps/Back/Shoulders
Day 2: Calves/Quads/Glutes
Day 3: Chest/Triceps/Shoulders
Day 4: Glutes/Hams

One thing I want to mention is that I don’t plan to work shoulders twice a week all the time. Some weeks I will  work biceps twice, and will substitute other upper body muscles as I see fit. I love working shoulders and mine develop quickly. My biceps need some work though, and I hate doing bicep work, so I figured that was a good indication I should do more of it. I love working legs and glutes, and kind of feel like, hey, if I have to be in a caloric surplus for a portion of my pregnancy then I might as well try to build an onion butt with some extra calories*!

*NOTE: You cannot grow muscle without a caloric surplus. This is called bulking.

 I’m sort of looking at pregnancy as an extended bulk so when I lose the baby weight I will be mad shredded bro! Just kidding. I don’t expect to be shredded for quite some time, and that’s okay with me too. It’s all about the journey, and I love it.

How do you choose your workouts for the week or do you just do what the spirit moves you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment